MMI Holdings Limited (MMI) is a South African based financial services group listed on the South African stock exchange, the JSE. The group operates in the market through several client-facing brands including Metropolitan and Momentum, South Africa’s number one cell captive insurer Guardrisk and wellness & rewards programme Multiply. MMI operates on the African continent, United Kingdom, and India through a direct presence, strategic partnerships and joint ventures.
MMI’s purpose is to improve the lifetime Financial Wellness of people, their communities and their businesses. Financial Wellness is a continuous process of planning and management for individuals, households and businesses, with the aim of affording expenses and achieving goals over one’s lifetime. Our promise to our clients is to be their Financial Wellness partner over this life-long journey, using our expertise and solutions to help them develop and reach their goals. Visit us at www.mmiholdings.co.za.
Create and deliver data-driven solutions that add business value through the use of statistical models, machine learning algorithms, data mining and visualisation techniques.
Responsibilities and work outputs
- Identify and develop Predictive and Prescriptive Models to enable better decision making of business
- Identify, understand and interprt data structures across various databases within the business to facilitate data analysis and continuous monitoring activities
- Delve for insights in data and processes to help improve the business
- Contribute to the development of differentiated; superior solutions that meet stakeholder and business requirements through analysis; business requirements gathering and designs validation
- Ensure product and/or solution design is congruent with the required business specifications through meeting stakeholder requirements timeously
- Enable the realisation of the financial business benefits accruing including minimisation of operational costs by ensuring that solutions are implemented effectively
- Model and frame business scenarios that are meaningful and which impact on critical business processes and/or decisions
- Participate and/or lead discovery processes with business stakeholders to identify problems and opportunities that may be addressed with statistical modelling or machine learning
- Collaborate with business to define approach to resolution of key business problems or development of new business strategies
- Contribute to the business by highlighting possible opportunities for process improvement and business value creation
- Identify and develop the hypothesis testing framework and modelling approach to address the business requirements
- Identify available and relevant data, potentially leveraging new data collection processes such as social media
- Make strategic recommendations on data collection and experimental design incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices
- Prepare the data for analysis and modelling, which includes data cleaning, standardisation, transformation, dimension reduction and feature engineering
- Identify and train suitable models/algorithms to discover patterns and make predictions
- Extend existing code and develop custom code to implement statistical models, machine learning algorithms and data mining techniques for large datasets in a computationally efficient manner
- Compare model performance, select the best algorithm for the job and be able to motivate this choice in a non-technical manner
- Interpret results and translate findings into clear and actionable insights that can be easily validated with the project sponsor
- Communicate findings to business with various skill levels and in various roles, presenting trends, correlations and patterns found in complicated datasets in a manner that clearly and concisely conveys meaningful insights
- Business users in the use of the models and interpretation of model output
- Assist with monitoring and reporting on model accuracy after it has been embedded in operations
- Provide authoritative, expertise and advice to clients and stakeholders
- Build and maintain relationships with clients and internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to the process of negotiating objective and realistic service level agreements, monitor appropriateness and recommend adjustments
- Define service practices which build rewarding relationships, encourage innovation and allow others to provide exceptional client service.
- Deliver on service level agreements made with clients and internal and external stakeholders in order to ensure that client expectations are managed
- Make recommendations to improve client service and fair treatment of clients within area of responsibility
- Participate and contribute to a culture which builds rewarding relationships, facilitates feedback and provides exceptional client service
- Create a positive work climate and culture to energise employees, give meaning to work, minimise work disruption and maximise employee productivity
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership behaviour, through personal involvement, commitment and dedication in support of organisational values
- Select and recruit suitably qualified talent in line with Employment Equity principles and MMI values
- Drive a culture that guides and directs best practice, fostering an environment of continuous learning, improvement and cohesiveness.
- Enable a learning and growth culture whereby information regarding successes, issues, trends and ideas are actively shared between team members
- Execute effective workforce planning practices to ensure that staffing requirements are accurately forecasted
- Identify employee growth and development needs and schedule interventions to enable ongoing development, training and personal growth
- Effectively manage performance within the team in order to ensure business objectives are achieved
- Encourage innovation, change agility and collaboration within the team
- Support the building of the team's capability in order to ensure that the team is equipped to strategically partner with business and provide leading solutions
- Identify solutions to enhance cost effectiveness and increase operational efficiency
- Manage financial and other company resources under your control with due respect
- Provide input into the risk identification processes and communicate recommendations in the appropriate forum
- 5-8 years' data analysis experience within an insurance environment
- Extensive experience with at least one programming language (e.g. Python), statistical package (e.g. R) and database language (e.g. SQL)
- Deep theoretical understanding of statistical methods and machine learning techniques
- Demonstrated ability to apply statistical methods and machine learning techniques to solve business problems.
- Demonstrated skills in formulating business problems to enable statistical modelling
- Demonstrated ability to select the right statistical tools and techniques for the job
- Experience translating statistical findings into business recommendations
- Business Acumen
- Client/ Stakeholder Commitment
- Drive for Results
- Leads Change and Innovation
- Impact and Influence
- Self-Awareness and Insight
- Diversity and Inclusiveness
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or other quantitative field
- An honours degree (preferably a masters or PhD) in a quantitative discipline that includes significant exposure to mathematics (linear algebra and calculus), statistics and computer science (preferred)
Please submit your application via our Careers page on www.mmiholdings.co.za
To apply, please follow the official system application process and get in touch with the PeopleSoft Helpdesk (021 940 5169) if you need further assistance.
21 March 2019
[email protected] (The purpose for this email address is solely for queries regarding the advertised position and no emailed CV’s will be accepted. Only online applications submitted via our Careers page will be considered.)
All positions will be filled in accordance with our Employment Equity plan.
We also encourage people with disabilities to apply.